Thursday 20 September 2012

Music video or short film?

Music videos are generally produced for promotional purposes as they market the song. However in some cases, music videos combine conventions of a short film to produce narrative. For example, Charlie Fink (Noah and the Whale) produced a 50 minute short film combined with all their music videos. This created a film which was purposely made in a artistic way, instead of a promotional service. The Suburbs by Spike Jonze is also an example of this. In reflection, I like the way the two combine: integrating music with narrative not only tells a story but it expresses the lyrics as well. Arguably, some may say that they are just plainly a music video or short film, in my opinion however, I believe the two are the same. I will investiagte this further into my brief and think about whether I should create something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment